Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Chicken and Couscous Skillet (Plus Minestrone Soup)



     This is another time I forgot to take a picture of the finished product. So the picture is the food still cooking in the skillet. Next time I make it, I will try to update the picture!
     This is a fairly healthy, simple meal, so I thought I'd share. I know a lot of the stuff I usually share isn't the most diet-friendly stuff, so I thought 'd share a healthy option for once. :-)
     Here is what you'll need:
     3/4 lb boneless chicken breast (about 1 1/2 breast for me), cubed
     4 tsp olive oil 
     2 TBSP minced garlic
     1/3 cup (give or take) diced carrots
     1/4 cup (give or take) diced onion
     1 can (14.5 oz) undrained diced tomatoes--I used fire-roasted
     1 cup chicken broth
     1 cup uncooked couscous

     First you need to dice your onion, carrots and garlic while the oil heats up in the skillet. Make sure the skillet is large enough to hold all the ingregients--plus space to spare, as the couscous will expand!



     Cook the carrots, onion in garlic in the oil until they start to get soft. While that was cooking, I used kitchen scissors to cut up the chicken.



     Then add the chicken to the skillet and saute until cooked through (about 6-8 minutes). When the chicken is cooked, add the undrained tomatoes and chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Add the couscous and turn heat to low, cover and simmer until couscous is cooked and liquid is absorbed. Fluff and serve. Serves 4.

Bonus Receipe: Minestrone Soup

     If you happen to have some left over, you can use it to make a nice minestrone soup. I had 1/4 of the chicken couscous skillet left over, so I added it to:

     2 cups chicken broth
     1 can garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
     4 oz can tomato sauce
     1 cup frozen spinach
     1 1/2 tsp each of basil and oregano
     a "handful" of frozen meatballs (optional)
     salt and pepper to taste

     Put all the ingredients in a pot on low for about an hour, while you make the fabulous pepperoni rolls to go with it. ;-) Top with grated parmesan, if desired.




3 comments:

  1. This looks so good and easy to prepare! Bookmarking

    ReplyDelete
  2. So these both look tasty but I clicked on the link thinking it said Couscous soup and that's what piqued my curiosity. But it's still an idea if you use the larger Israeli couscous.
    L
    hey_wren@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! I was just posting the soup as a way to use an extra serving or two of the Cous cous skillet. I didn't want to separate the recipes, since the soup is kind of dependent on using leftovers from the main dish.

      Delete